What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is a systems-based patient centered approach that focuses on identifying and understanding the underlying or root causes of disease. This process starts by carefully assessing patients’ health, and uses specific nutritional protocols, supplements, and diagnostic testing to uncover the true causes of disease. Functional medicine uses evidence-based clinical protocols, including nutrition, supplements, healthy movement, mental wellbeing, and stress management. Combining all these aspects, we create a personalized health plan that evolves with you.
Why do we need Functional Medicine?
Our society is experiencing an increase in the number of people who are suffering from chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, and autoimmune disorders. Most physicians are oriented toward acute care, the diagnosis and treatment of trauma, illnesses, or acute trauma. The traditional medical model that physicians follow applies specific, prescribed treatments such as drugs or surgery that aim to treat the immediate problem or symptoms. Our current acute care medical model to medicine lacks the proper tools for preventing and treating complex chronic disease. Most physicians are not adequately trained to assess the underlying causes of complex, chronic disease, and to apply strategies such as nutrition, diet, and exercise to both treat and prevent these illnesses in their patients.
How is Functional Medicine Different?
Functional medicine involves understanding the origins, prevention, and treatment of complex, chronic disease. Basic tenants of a functional medicine approach include:
- The focus of functional medicine is on patient-centered care, promoting health as a positive vitality, beyond just the absence of disease. By listening to the patient and learning his or her story, the practitioner brings the patient into the discovery process and tailors’ treatments that address the individual’s unique needs.
- Health is more than the simple absence of disease. Our goal is to provide assistance to you as you work to achieve optimal wellness and healthy aging.
- Functional Medicine treats the individual rather than the disease. The relationship between patient and practitioner effectively becomes a partnership; every aspect of a patient’s medical history is reviewed in detail.
- Lifestyle change, including your diet, nutritional counseling, exercise habits, stressors, and your religious/spiritual practices, is a powerful tool to restore balance to your health.
- Utilizing a combination of personalized food plans, nutritional supplements, medical foods, lifestyle changes, we incorporate the latest diagnostic testing (evaluating your genome and microbiomes as appropriate) and traditional wisdom to create a patient care plan which is distinct and unique.
- An integrative, science-based healthcare approach. Functional medicine practitioners look “upstream” to consider the complex web of interactions in the patient’s history, physiology, and lifestyle that can lead to illness. The unique genetic makeup of each patient is considered, along with both internal (mind, body, and spirit) and external (physical and social environment) factors that affect total functioning.
- Integrating best medical practices. Functional medicine integrates traditional Western medical practices with what is sometimes considered “alternative” or “integrative” medicine, creating a focus on prevention through nutrition, diet, and exercise; use of the latest laboratory testing and other diagnostic techniques; and prescribed combinations of drugs and/or botanical medicines, supplements, therapeutic diets, detoxification programs, or stress-management techniques.
We take our role as your partner in achieving your health goals very seriously, and therefore wants to ensure this is the best place for you to do that. To get started, we begin with having every new patient do a 15-minute complementary consultation with Dr. Tammy Atkinson. This is to create an initial connection to ensure a good fit and to give you the opportunity to know that this is the right place for you.
We help to guide you and help to create support for you, while honoring the commitment to hard work and accountability to yourself throughout your transformational journey to health. Upon completion of this consult, should we decide to move forward together, you will have the opportunity to start your case review process by completing your health journey questionnaire, complete a medical symptom questionnaire, receive an order for initial blood work and set up the initial full intake appointment.
Dr. Tammy Atkinson is a Certified LifeStyle Medicine practitioner. She is a member of the Institute for Functional Medicine, and she has taken postgraduate course work from some of the leading practitioners in Functional Medicine.
Call (919) 439-2539 today or book online to schedule your complementary consultation to begin your journey to health!
Suffering with Aches and Pains?
What Our Patients Are Saying
Read what our patients share their experiences and find out why we are the top-rated chiropractic clinic in the Cary area.
I have been seeing Dr.Tammy regularly since 2016. I have Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) and require consistent care due to multiple joint subluxations which contribute to widespread chronic pain.
I look forward to my weekly appointment and feel so much better after getting fixed up (adjusted)!
All Chiropractors are not equal when considering treatment for EDS. The key is finding someone who is gentle but effective, understands the challenges of the Hypermobile body, listens, feels, and sees how the body is moving and adjusts the treatment accordingly. Dr.Tammy checks all those boxes! She is a skilled practicioner who has taken such excellent care of me I also have entrusted her with my daughter's care as well. We both see her regularly and feel she is a vital part of our care team. EDS has no cure and managing symptoms becomes the treatment plan. For us, Chiropractic care and Physical Therapy are the bread and butter to managing our subluxations, reducing pain, and improving daily functionality. We are so fortunate to have found Dr.Tammy Atkinson at the Chiropractic Wellness Center in Cary!!
Dr. Tammy's refined and careful touch has helped me tremendously with my neck and upper back issues. She's been over on Kildaire Farm Rd. for over 10 years. I've appreciated the various therapies she offers in addition to the standard adjustments.
Dr. Tammy is the best. Very easy to schedule appointments and although 1 session does not immediately fix your issue - I always feel 150% better after the first appointment than before I walked in. She is kind, gentle and very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend Chiropractic Pain & Injury Center to anyone looking for the best Chiropractor!